Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Apostasy

In my wilderness, I met a woman
who knew God -
a genteel beauty who chased
the moon at night.
She was silver tongued
from eating ashes,
but I can't pray like that.

I met a man who'd wrestled
with the Devil.
Winning left him with a face
of wax.
He preached safety and salvation
outside the sun.
I can't live like that.

Last, I met a little girl
with a giggle.
She sugared suffering, but didn't claim
it sweet.
It was just the way she'd found
to get the hard stuff down.
Give me that.

I can pray to that.

I can live like that.

For The Tuesday Platform at Real Toads

13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

You create the perfect set up for epiphany, MZ. Such a wonder and a privilege to read your work.

angieinspired said...

let the little children come to me. we must have faith like these little ones. something so cowboyish about this

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I agree wholeheartedly with Kerry, this is amazing poetry, MZ!❤️

grapeling said...

I am always humbled when I read your poetry, MZ ~

brudberg said...

The best way to meet the world... so much better devils and Gods. Love it

Gillena Cox said...

After Stanza#2, i giggled, not knowing i would scroll down to meet your giggling girl, and like her too.

much love...

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

And every one of your readers chooses the girl with you.

WildChild47 said...

Evocative and provocative - this has echoes of some of Cohen's words and music - but is wholly unique, of course. And indeed, the line - she sugared suffering - that is a knock it out of the park right into the heavens kind of line - fantastic.

Martin Kloess said...

Nice tale. ..and there is a relatable truth in it.

estella said...

I feel the same way.

"Last, I met a little girl
with a giggle.
She sugared suffering, but didn't claim
it sweet."

I love that.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

She sugared the suffering.....and found a way to get the hard stuff down. Brilliant, MZ.

Brendan MacOdrum said...

This apostasy is also a poetics -- right-sized for humane consumption.

annell said...

Me too!!!