Sunday, March 19, 2017

Colors

Nurses wear white.
Hookers wear red.
Nuns wear black,
and the dead
                            wear nothing at all.

Assuming the moon is right.

The thief wears a suit
and a fine silk tie.
The judge wears a blindfold,
but uncovers an eye
                 
                             he drawls -

make sure the noose is tight,

the branch is strong and high,

our tracks are covered, the blood is dry,

and the money's green.

For the Poetry Pantry at Poets United.

10 comments:

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Money is the root of all evil, even when meant for good things it never seems to trickle there.

lily said...

Awesome.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the judge with the blindfold who uncovers an eye........

brudberg said...

Everyone has his price... it's all about the colors

indybev said...

I'd love to know the story behind the story ... I always wonder. Acerbic and well written! I enjoyed it.

Mary said...

I too would like to know the backstory here. Riveting.

R.K. Garon said...

Well written!
ZQ

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love this piece of Wild West meets noir. The most striking image for me was: 'and the dead / wear nothing at all'.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Oh this is incredibly written, MZ ❤️ I wonder what's the story behind it! xo

Susan said...

New scripture here, revealing God through parable. Thank you.