Wednesday, February 8, 2017

I Sing, Daughter

I sing, daughter,
of sacred spaces,
woman's places
of birth and breast
unblessed
by any preacher's prayer.

Bring, daughter,
your shivers and night.
They're flesh givers, ripe
fruit for your lips
to curve your hips
and sweeten the shine of your hair.

I'll carry, daughter,
the pits in my palm,
proverb and psalm,
to where land meets the water
and offer them, daughter,
to the East, to the Earth, to the Air.

Let us sing, daughter,
of sacred spaces,
woman's places
of birth and breast,
and rest -
blessed by a woman's care.

For Midweek Motif~Space at Poets United

17 comments:

Susan said...

Tears. Love.

indybev said...

Powerful words!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

A message most loving and glorious. I especially love the carrying of "the pits in my palm, proverb and psalm".......your poem is a song.

said...

So strong, Kell.

This really speaks to me:

"Bring, daughter,
your shivers and night."

Sanaa Rizvi said...

My goodness this is good!❤️

Myrna R. said...

You have no idea how much your poem touches me. So beautiful.

Sioux said...

Kelli--This poem is beyond beautiful. It has a sacred tone to it, which I know is not fair, since "sacred" is in the poem, but it does has a holiness to it.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

What a beautiful heartfelt song! I would love to hear this to music! I can tell you felt this deeply when you wrote it.

De said...

My favorite:
"Bring, daughter,
your shivers and night."

Mary said...

What an empowering poem!!

Old Egg said...

This is so beautiful and full of strength, a glorious poem.

Stacy Lynn Mar said...

so beautiful, feminine, yet strong.

Sara McNulty said...

Powerful, yet heartfelt poem. It touched me.

Sumana Roy said...

"blessed by a woman's care." the line seems to be the fulcrum of the poem...beautiful...

Fireblossom said...

There's your song thing going on. :-)

grapeling said...

this. ~

Nicholas V said...

A beautiful poem that carries with it a feeling of melancholy and a quest for justice on a spiritual level. Most modern major religions have become very patriarchal and have denied women equal rights. I think the reaction to that is the search for balance by looking towards the past and resurrecting the matriarchal older faiths where the Earth Mother goddess ruled supreme. The mother-daughter reference is particularly important here.