Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Switzerland

I am Switzerland.
I was born to be Switzerland.
Too small to be significant,
but for my gentle
refusal to take sides.
Neutral.
Choosing,
by choosing not to choose.

I am appeasement.
I learned to be appeasement.
Stretching minutes
of Munich Agreements
into uneasy
pieces of peace -
at any price
priceless,
but impermanent.

I am America.
I grew up to be America.
More powerful
than I know how
to justly be
sometimes, but trying,
always trying,
for a quiet moment
on all fronts.

A rough draft for Midweek Motif~Neutrality/Objectivity at Poets United

11 comments:

Susan said...

Neutral or Appeasing or Powerful -- It's a toss up which can produce a just quiet. Is it possible that nothing ever can?

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is such an incredibly brilliant write, MZ 💖

Gillena Cox said...

really luv this poem; a passionate write

much love...

Old Egg said...

Sadly a man with a stick always feels he has to use it.

Marja said...

To be peaceful and look from the sideline or to be powerful and and do something That's the question
Great write

Mary said...

Really like your analogies here. Really, sometimes I do admire Switzerland in its neutrality, and other times I think 'she' has taken the easy way out.

J Cosmo Newbery said...

There is not neutral. Nicely captured.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

America, more powerful than it knows how to justly be. I like that.

Sioux said...

We need poems like this, with the election coming up...

Nicholas V said...

Whenever I think about Switzerland, I am reminded of Dante's lines:
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."
Well-penned!

Fireblossom said...

I read this, back when you posted it, but I guess i was too muddle headed too comment. I have no idea of this is meant to be personal or not, but I have often thought you are more Switzerland than you let on.