Friday, October 21, 2016

Faith And Works (the least among you)

"How many times can a man turn his head,
And pretend that he just doesn't see?"
                                             --- Bob Dylan

There's a preacher who prays
for me - sometimes
we talk about the weather.
He blesses me
when it rains,
but I still get wet.

Come Sunday, he lays
hands on me and a wafer
on my tongue.  The cracker
and wine are nice,
but I still leave hungry.

The mayor and his lovely wife
tithe their ten and wear
white tie for charity,
but pass me
on the corner.

I'm a man without a face;
the woman you can't quite place;
the grace
you failed to show
to the least among you.

This is a bit rough, but I didn't want to miss Kerry's Bob Dylan prompt at Real Toads.

10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, this is it exactly. Perfectly captured! Your pen packs power. And your eyes see.

brudberg said...

The voice of the unseen captured so well here, and especially the ignorance of those pretending to care.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

First thought: fuck yeah! She gets it. I stand by my first thought.

Kerry O'Connor said...

The white tie charity is dead on target, yet your poem is about so much more than that. Each stanza requires a pause for deep thought.
You never fear to lay bare the grim realities but always do so with compassion for the underdog.

Kim Russell said...

Dylan's voice, but from a woman's point of view - perfectly done!

Helen said...

.. about wanting more, needing more.

Jim said...

The person no one sees. I've always liked this, put it next to "the first shall be last."
..

Fireblossom said...

Well-observed, babe.

Outlawyer said...

Ah, terrific close especially--wonderful, thanks. k.

Sioux said...

How many people exists as "ghosts"? Unseen. Uncared-for. Drifting through life without (according to other people) any substance.