Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Comic Con
















I turned 45 in a Flip Joan wig,
stack heels, and a too tight dress.
My very best Homestuck's Mother Lalonde
for a day of cosplay
at Comic Con.

What?

Hell, no, I didn't want to go!
But I'm a mom, and I'd promised, you know?
So I took my meds and kohled my eyes,
paid for my ticket, and went inside

a place alive with color and sound -
writers and artists all roaming around,
and comic creations brought to fan favorite life;
everyone a hero or god for a time.

Soon I was one of their own.  The nerds took me in,
and I understood that I'd been given a gift -
the gift of getting over and out of myself
to walk again on the child side as somebody else.

For Midweek Motif ~ Birthday at Poets United

Update: I have a new poem ("Microorganism") up today at Maudlin House.  Please check it out; I'd love to know what you think!

13 comments:

Sharon Wagner said...

You really made lemonade out of lemons. Your poem succeeds in relating that life is what you make of it. Bravo!

Jae Rose said...

That last verse and the photo is a zinger! it always good to be reminded to play no matter our age..perhaps playing at being someone else teaches us something new?

Buddah Moskowitz said...

You are a real sport. Loved that you saw the joy and secret gift of attending. One of these days I'll attend Comic-Con but only when I have perfected my Dr. Zaius costume from Planet of the Apes. Great poem and pic. Your expressions are priceless.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

A totally fab mother-daughter day that she will remember forever. And yes, it is fun to walk on the wild side , with a child's heart. This is why I love hanging with kids - they keep us walking in wonder.

Fireblossom said...

Now everybody's got a personal ad! Congrats, MZ on getting published again!

Mary said...

This is a day that you and your daughter will never forget!!

Susan said...

Sounds gruesome to me, but my nephew and niece-in-law would be right in there with you taking a walk on the wild side. Your tale is funnier than theirs, What a gift!

gillena cox said...

To walk " on the child side " I say that's great

Much love...

Old Egg said...

You have got it right here. Always be as young an you want to be for it is your life and nobody else's.

Kerry O'Connor said...

the gift of getting over and out of myself
to walk again on the child side as somebody else.


I can't think of a better gift.

Margaret said...

I always think you are fab! N love love those smiles. How fun. Off to check out your new poem

jaine said...

"So I took my meds and kohled my eyes, paid for my ticket, and went inside"

This is it ... the poem inside the poem.

Happy birthday, Kell.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

Isn't is amazing when things like that happen? You know, I'd love to go to that sometime you were lucky! I'm jealous!