Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Ode To A Guinea Pig

She was an illustration
of  twin deadly sins;
sketched black and white,
then filled in
with a furry fountain pen.

Round as a world,
she was gluttony hinged
to a bellows gut that blew high,
whistling notes of malnutrition

at any hint of empty.

And sloth?  Such stillness
should shame death to slow its pace of decay!
But we loved her anyway;

our pretty fat pig.

For The Tuesday Platform at Real Toads

Update: I have 3 new poems in the June issue of Sugar Mule!

11 comments:

brudberg said...

I mostly remember the noise they made at night... nocturnal pets are not so fun really.. but they were cuddly.

georgeplaceblog said...

"We loved her anyway" Sweet

Margaret said...

Brilliant ode to a Guinea pig!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

That's my kind of girl. l loved this.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

"Round as a world"....female animals tend to be fairly obsessive about their vittles, LOL. I love your closing lines especially.

Fireblossom said...

I really love "How To Write A Poem or Bust Ice." I'm so proud of you.

Stacie Eirich said...

I loved that you loved her anyway. I think there is much to love about a pig. :-) Thanks for sharing.

Cara H said...

I have a very friendly calico cat who is round as the world. Unfortunately for me, when she is really relaxed and happy, she tends to fart.

I loved reading the tale of your guinea pig. :-)

http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com/2016/05/monody-for-grounded-traveler.html

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

It is good for any creature to be loved. I can't bring myself to love guinea pigs, but I loved your description of this one.

Marian said...

Ah, adorable gluttony. Did you recently lose your guinea pig? My condolences.

Outlawyer said...

First, many congratulations! Secondly, all creatures are loveable to children and to one with children, and to a child at heart. This is very sweet. k.