Monday, March 21, 2016

Summer Reading

I left evidence of my passing
into another world -
a bit of chocolate fingerprint
on the page.
As long as I could stay there,
I was more than a gawky girl -
pre this or that,
in "some sort of phase."

With a rugged, wild-haired hero,
some rogue with rippling arms
and shoulders strong enough
to bear my cares;
in a soft-grass English meadow,
I'd succumb to his devilish charms
(what that entailed
I wasn't yet quite aware).

Fairy tales with a tongue kiss.
Prince Charmings with a past.
A little heavy petting now and then.
Happy Endings - oh! Eternal bliss!
Like countless girls before me,
I ruined myself
for ordinary men.

For Poetry Pantry
My runner-up poem in the Shiny Poetry competition

8 comments:

Sioux said...

A fairy tale that tells the truth!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

OMG you have spoken my truth better than I knew how to say it. My grandma said getting me hooked on Kathleen Norris novels was a big mistakte. And how I swooned over Heathcliff, and now I recognize he totally set me up for grumpy buggers, LOL. It was great to dream though, back then. Sigh.

Mary said...

So many do! Seems to be many girls' rite of passage.... sigh

Carrie Van Horn said...

Congratulations on being runner up in the contest that is so cool!....It speaks volumes for sure for so many women. Love this!

Stormcat Poetry said...

Congratulations, might as well give up then . . . . once ruined you're ruined for life . . . .but that's a good thing.

Marion said...

We all do. Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Butler ruined me before I hit puberty...But my daughters (miracle of miracles) both got romantic, precious, hardworking men. For this, I am so grateful and blessed...and I prayed for 20 years for my daughters to find good husbands. xo

Fireblossom said...

Quit complaining. Some of us are just ruined, full stop! :-P

Fireblossom said...

*smax forehead* AND congratulations!