Sunday, March 13, 2016

Forehead Crawler

Take the money on the counter,
run down to the store,
and pick up the things that I forgot
when I was there before.

Grab me some Ben & Jerry's;
we'll call it a "surprise."
I need a forehead crawler.
The Thunder play tonight!

Note:  A forehead crawler is something so chocalatey yummy delicious that it makes your forehead crawl.  My mother and I had a ritual of creating something divine and nutritionally dubious to eat while we watched basketball games.

I miss you, Mom.

For Poetry Pantry at Poets United

14 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh, so poignant, missing your mom. I am happy you are carrying on the ritual with Baby Puppy. Precious memories.

C.C. said...

I love the note, the term "forehead crawler" and the fact that you are carrying on this tradition and sharing these memories with all of us. Thank you.

Fireblossom said...

Rituals like this mean a lot.

said...

This is adorable. I love the "we'll call it a surprise" line. :)

Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

I adored this lovely shout out to your mom and the forehead crawler ritual....beautiful!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Beautifully poignant..!

brudberg said...

Love the forehead crawler... such a poignant memory

Mary said...

Keep those traditions alive, MZ. Your poem had a happy tone, but I sense there is more beneath the surface.

Luk Lei said...

Personal metaphors are a beautiful thing. And the sharing of a ritual, simple and meaningful. Thank you.

Magaly Guerrero said...

The little things, the ones we only shared with them... are the ones we miss most, aren't they?

This tugs at my heartstrings and twists them into a knot. ((♥))

Jae Rose said...

A good surprise - and a touching memory - i suspect and hope the tradition will continue :)

Kerry O'Connor said...

Something so easy as a trip to the store... yet no longer possible. We miss our people in the small things.

Myrna R. said...

What a nice ritual to repeat between mother and daughter. A night crawler is my kind of treat.

R.K. Garon said...

This is superb!
ZQ