Friday, February 26, 2016

Footprints

I'd like to slap that apple out of her hand
and grind the old boa to grease beneath my boot.
Here's another girl, innocent as Eve, believing herself to be a snake charmer.
But, see, she's the one swaying and charmed -
disarmed by his handsome
slither and hiss.

Look, this garden is old -
old as worlds and wombs;
sweet as God's first kiss;
unchanging as sparrows and swallows.

So, yes, I'd love to slap that apple right out of her hand,
but I'd just drive her closer to the tree.
I have to let it be.
After all, it's my footprints she followed.

For Hannah's prompt at Real Toads

13 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh what a wonderful voice.. Footprints as ancient this are hard not to follow.

Margaret said...

oh snap! what an ending.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

As always, you absolutely nail your subject. This is wonderful.

nia said...

This is awesome. I can feel it as if you're talking about me and also about your own daughter. Fantastic writing.

grapeling said...

what a finish. damn. ~

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the way you turned it around at the end. It creates a whole new context for the monologue.

Outlawyer said...

Ha. Well done. k.

Bekkie Sanchez said...

The spunkiness of this is delightful! I'd like to slap the apple out of her hand too.

Hannah said...

Goodness!! Breath-taking...I love your perspective and this stanza:

"Look, this garden is old -
old as worlds and wombs;
sweet as God's first kiss;
unchanging as sparrows and swallows."

Awesome, Mama Zen! Thank you so much for joining!

:)

PSC said...

Hah! I particularly like that she 'innocent as Eve, believing herself to be a snake charmer' is also 'the one swaying and charmed - disarmed by his handsome slither and hiss.' Nice work!

Helen said...

You bring great imagery to everything you write ~~ love this!

Fireblossom said...

I like this!

Susie Clevenger said...

Oh my...our footprints do lead out of Eden.