Monday, August 17, 2015

The Longest Road

The longest road
I've ever known
brought me here
and away from home.
Stole my borrowed dreams;
made me craft my own.
Turned me from childish things
and left me grown.

The longest love song
I've ever sung
ended old,
but started young.
Kingdom born,
kingdom come.
The longest love song
I've ever sung.

The longest days
burn into nights.
Darkness gathers,
then gives way to light.
Ain't no wrong time.
Ain't no right.
The longest days
burn into nights.

For Karin's prompt at Real Toads

11 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Ah, I do love this one, MZ! You are one multi-talented lady, thanks for sharing as always!!

hailee's comma said...

These are my favorite sections:

"The longest love song
I've ever sung
ended old,
but started young."

"Ain't no wrong time.
Ain't no right."

Did you mean to use "nights" and then "night" in the last stanza, or did you intend to use the same word?

Gail said...

I want to write like you when I grow up!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

WOW.......just so good - how we find ourselves inexplicably grown.....that longest love song.......and your fantastic closing. One of my new faves of yours. Love the rhythm of it. Would make a fantastic song!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

You make it appear easy - I struggle ten times more to produce less than a tenth of your casual magic.

Outlawyer said...

This is really itself a song, MZ. A lovely one. Thanks much for joining in. K.

Fireblossom said...

Sing it, girl!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is lovely!

Kerry O'Connor said...

The musicality of the poem enhances the wistful melancholy of the piece. Really beautiful poetry.

R.K. Garon said...

Wow! Very good!
ZQ

C.C. said...

This is lyrical and holds so much profound meaning: "The longest love song
I've ever sung
ended old,
but started young."