Monday, July 13, 2015

From The Missed


Rising from the missed my
goddamn train like a totem on the track,
I'm soot black and swearing blue -
Casey, can you turn it back?

I'm a first time suffragette.
Haven't kissed a sailor yet.

Haven't broke my temperance vow.
Haven't had a chance till now.

I'm not plain, but I'm not pretty.
My best hope is in the city

far away from this endless prairie.
Otherwise, I'll have to marry.

Good Casey, if you'll turn around
and whisk this totem off the track
away from all I've known and been,
I'll never miss a train again.


For The Mag

15 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Casey Jones you better watch your speed...

Loved this. Your wit is as sharp as ever.

Elena Sands said...

Lovely work. I really enjoyed this one. Especially: "Rising from the missed my goddamn train..." Superb.

Gail said...

I loved all that mixed to together to make a wonderful poem.

Sara McNulty said...

Loved your use of 'Casey'. Good tale!

Magaly Guerrero said...

I've just realized that I've never kissed a sailor, either. Very troubling...

Truedessa said...

ha - missing the train was my first thought when I saw the prompt...written in your very unique style. It made me smile

grapeling said...

would have been fun to have been at the Chicago shows last week... ~

Kerry O'Connor said...

I LOVE it! Such musicality and independent-spirited. I smiled all the way through.

I. said...

Wow. What an opening line! Excellent line break. These are more of my favorites:

"I'm soot black and swearing blue"

"I'm not plain, but I'm not pretty.
My best hope is in the city"

"far away from this endless prairie.
Otherwise, I'll have to marry."

The closing line as well.

Helen said...

I have had a "thing" for trains since I was a girl ... This poem moves like a train, I love it.

The Blog of Bee said...

What a delight!

Karen S. said...

This is great! I know she shall fare well in the city!

Tess Kincaid said...

Rising from the missed... !

IBU RISKA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
IBU RISKA said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.