Friday, May 8, 2015

Fragments (For Me Alone)

I see signs in every fragment.
Rain is the murmur
of insistent gods,
and the starquilt sky
stitches words for my eyes
alone.

All alone
with my fragments -
my mosaic eyes
to the moon murmur
sky-
I serve and sacrifice my insistent gods.

Cruel gods!
They left me in the garden alone -
with a starquilt sky,
fragments,
murmurs,
and clay for eyes.

I curse these eyes
and their peculiar visions of gods.
I murmur
like an Israelite to be left alone -
fragments
gone and sky

just sky.
I bless these eyes,
fill them with fragments
left by the gods
for me alone.
Murmurs,

murmurs,
a starquilt sky
for me alone.
Mosaic eyes,
gods
in fragments

for me alone.  Murmurs and words for my eyes
in the sky for me alone. Insistent gods
and the signs I see - for me- alone - in the fragments.

A weird little offering for M's prompt at Real Toads

15 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Beautifully penned..! :)

Heard that a tornado hit your area, hope everything is ok at your end!
Lots of love
xoxo

hedgewitch said...

The steamy night feel, the stark descriptive delirium of fever or madness, the incantatory repetition and the words you chose to use for it all blow me away. And the sheer beauty that only the lost can see in a sky made of mosaic fragments and quilted with stars. This totally boils my cauldron.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

WOW! The starquilt sky, the moon murmur sky, mosaic eyes - absolutely beautiful, Kelli!

humbird said...

Love the 'starquilt sky' and patterns of images...symbols for someone who read them..hope you're doing well~ blessings! xx

Gail said...

I have seen a "starquilt sky" but it had no name. Thank you.

Fireblossom said...

I'm jealous of your ability to make form say nearly as much as content, though that says plenty, too.

Opal Onyx said...

This is phenomenal. I loved, and savored, every word.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yes! Awesome indeed and I, too, love and savored every word!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Weird perhaps - but making sense in its own way too, through the progressions and changes. I love it too.

Outlawyer said...

Like a little sestina here--or tritina--and the whirl of these fragments is so intense some times, making a shifting mosaic--always intelligent, insightful, quirkily original. Thank you, MZ. k.

brudberg said...

This is just so cool, did not even recognise the sestina.. The eyes as clay is a vision that linger.

grapeling said...

you are a magician, and have magicked us with this canto, MZ. thank you for this response to the challenge.

(I'm also glad to learn you're safe.) ~

Kerry O'Connor said...

a starquilt sky
for me alone...

Every night, when I take the dogs out, I try to read the sky.

Susie Clevenger said...

I think many of us have those moments of madness. I feel I am close to madness as I walk through the valley of realizing I swallowed religious Kool-aid and the bile stained words I repeated.

Out of Sight L said...

I feel this to the depth of my being the scream that I never allow out, leave.me.alone.