Friday, April 3, 2015

For Mine

Behind me there's an old man
with meat in a can and food stamps.
He's a veteran of Korea and Vietnam.

He trembles dimes for cigarettes.
For all he gave, this is what he gets?
I said, "Sir, I'll get the rest.

That is, if you don't mind.

Let me pay for yours;
You've already paid for mine."

Beside me there's a woman my age,
magazine in hand.
Her eyes are on the page, but her mind is burning.

She's got a girl in Navy blue,
she tells me, and her pride shines through,
but there's worry;

"I'm terrified all the time.

When you pray for yours,
don't forget to pray for mine."

A song for Shay at Real Toads.  The first half of the poem is mostly true.  I didn't actually tell the gentleman that I had paid for his groceries.  I was afraid that I would offend him or that he would refuse.

18 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Knowing your past life as a rock star, it comes as no surprise that you can deliver meaningful lyrics, in a song that holds true for any age. Poignant.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Surprising subtle and a profound nudge there. Great, great as always. Put it to music, kid.

hedgewitch said...

A song of giving and gratitude is one we all need to sing more often.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Fantastic - the poem, the story, and the real life event. I especially love, "you already paid for mine."

Helen said...

A poem/song for all time .. yet it feels fresh and brand new.

ccchampagne said...

I would love for these lyrics to be longer... Beautiful theme and lovely write!

Jim said...

And you told it right, some of our military really got the ...
I won't complain for myself because out of five years I did not get shot at and I received an electronics education, a skill, a good job, and a GI Bill where I could finish my education.
..

Outlawyer said...

The overall rhythm is wonderful and message-of course--and the trembling of the dimes--agh--very vivid and distilled, as always--and important message. K. Manicddaily

Susie Clevenger said...

I agree with Hedgewitch. We certainly need to sing more about giving and gratitude without judgment.

Marion Lawless said...

Never, ever, ever be afraid to do good. Great poem! (give, and it shall be given unto you...~Jesus)

Fireblossom said...

And pass the good stuff on. Big seal clap! (You know what I mean, from our convo!)

Debi Swim said...

Sensitive rendering. Wonderful message.

Sioux said...

You should find a larger home for this poem. Look into a magazine or newspaper or anthology about veterans/the military.

It's full of heart. Gorgeous.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

It really hits home! Beautifully told.

Susan said...

Yes, I will notice
Yes, I will pray
You are my new folk hero.

Elizabeth Hornor Boquet said...

Oh that second stanza -- Wow!

grapeling said...

beautiful, MZ. ~

Shawna said...

Beautiful.