Friday, November 21, 2014

Fruit

"Still Life with Fruit," Severin Roesen, 1852.  iPhone image by M. Bednar.


When none of the fruit was forbidden,
I tasted as I pleased,
but none of it pleased me.

It was too easy.

And when some of the fruit was forbidden,
I got tangled in my choice
for the choicest piece

and couldn't eat.

But when all of the fruit was forbidden,
I fell fast to the feast.
More left me hungry.
Less left me replete
and choking to chew and swallow
another sickly sweet
seed and slice

of rich, ripe vice.

I'm no wiser than Eve.

For Margaret's Artistic Interpretations prompt at Real Toads

14 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Ah, yes!! The forbidden fruit! Will fool us every time!! Have a great weekend!

Björn Rudberg said...

Yes everybody knows that forbidden fruit tastes the best.. I think it's about being human..

Björn Rudberg said...

Yes everybody knows that forbidden fruit tastes the best.. I think it's about being human..

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh, this is so clever, MZ. How the words trip from the invisible tongue and fall into our hands like ripe seeds - a little tart but very satisfying.

Fireblossom said...

I think the problem lies with those who make the determination of what is forbidden or not. Who died and made them sheriff?

kaykuala said...

Beautiful write MZ! Clever underlying reference throughout to Eve's earlier choice.

Hank

Margaret said...

Ah, human nature is so fickle. So very clever!

manicddaily said...

We do like what we can't have. I think of Tom Sawyer and the whitewashed fence. Clever and distilled. Thanks, MZ. Always a treat. K.

Susie Clevenger said...

Love it...If we could have it, we wouldn't be tempted. :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Such clever and delicious temptation!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I especially love "but when all of the fruit was forbidden, I fell fast to the feast." Human nature, in a nutshell.

Marian said...

:)

Grandmother (Mary) said...

Twas ever thus!

Phil Slade said...

Your poetry is so very clever MZ. I must say though that I love all fruit, forbidden or not.