Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Kittens Coming

Poor little thing!  How sad you seem!
Not a runt, but sick in some part.
Perhaps, it's an ache in your heart.
Let's nap here
in the quiet dark.

I have kittens coming.

Child, I've watched you prowl at night,
and test your tentative milk teeth bite.
You're not quite like
the rest of your kind.
More like

my kittens coming.

I think I'll curl in the soft of your side.
Steady myself on the steel of your spine -
the strength that you have yet to find,
but will.
Now, feel

the kittens coming.

Process Note: The summer I was 9 or 10 years old, I was sick and had to stay in bed for what felt like an eternity (it was probably 2 or 3 days).  One of those sick day afternoons, I woke from a nap and found my cat Tutu curled up at my side and giving birth.  If you know anything about cats, you know that this behavior is pretty much unheard of.  I've never forgotten the wonder of it, and I've always felt that Tutu honored me with an incredible gift.

For Kerry's prompt at Real Toads

14 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Oh, an incredible gift from Tutu indeed!! I love this! Thanks for sharing with us! Made my morning!!

Susan said...

Oh, She loves the little one--I needed your note. My last cat but one, Pierette, used to warm me when I was under the weather--but never with kittens coming. How marvelously lullaby like the refrain, and how unlikely the sleep, watching the kittens coming!

Jim said...

Cats like to share. Nice, Mom Zee. Only a lady could imagine this kind of thoughts.

Ours did also share, she was spayed, with dead mice and snakes. She laid them on the back door step.
..

Helen said...

Though it seems unlikely, the very same thing happened to my daughter when she was ten ... she still talks about that afternoon. Sadly one of the kittens died there, I was totally inept at dealing with it .. Daddy came to the rescue.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is wonderful! The strong maternal instinct of the cat comes through strongly in the voice, and I imagine she knew she had a human child as well as her own kittens to tend to. What a great story.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

"the strength that you have yet to find...but will"....your cat knew you through and through Mama Zen! And now you watch your daughter prowl at night, feel her "tentative milk teeth bite"....and know the same thing........the strength she will find, in turn, from being your daughter.

Björn Rudberg said...

Ah.. what a memory. to find yourself adopted as extra mom I think.. our cat gave birth in utmost secrecy.. and then when she was ready she moved back with us.. (I think that's the normal way of doing it)

Björn Rudberg said...

Ah.. what a memory. to find yourself adopted as extra mom I think.. our cat gave birth in utmost secrecy.. and then when she was ready she moved back with us.. (I think that's the normal way of doing it)

Fireblossom said...

You are NOT like the rest. Trouble will always find you, it seems, but so will extraordinary things like this. You've written a poem that really brings the memory to life for the rest of us, and it's skillfully composed as well. One of your best.

hedgewitch said...

This voice seems so authentic, and I agree, it is a gift, to have any animal so offer their trust in that way. For whatever reason--and the poem posits an excellent one--you made that cat feel utterly safe and protected.

Magaly Guerrero said...

That cat must've loved you and trust you like she did no other. Like Hedgewitch said, what a gift!

The mood is perfect, and the refrain, too... I can feel her pain and her determination not to leave you alone.

What a gift, indeed.

Margaret said...

What an amazing thing to happen!

grapeling said...

amazing, but then, your spirit must have always been a beacon ~

manicddaily said...

Very sweet poem, and thanks for the note--. k.