Friday, September 12, 2014

Ratna Dweepa



Can't hear rumors of a modern world -
mud in my ears.

I dig all day to eat -
mud in my teeth.

Dig for bits of colored glass -
mud in my ass.

A share of nothing there -
dead on my feet.




Note: Ratna Dweepa (Island of Jewels) is the Sanskrit nickname for the island of Sri Lanka.  The wide variety of gems found on the island have been mined for at least 2500 years.  For the most part, the mining process has remained unchanged.  Even today, most mines are small, community efforts. Miners work from dawn to dusk in exchange for food and an eventual 3% share of  any stones found.  

For Margaret's prompt at Real Toads

13 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

His stark reality. This is stunning, Mama Zen.

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is powerful social commentary, MZ. You have reminded me that I don't always stop to consider how a beautiful object may have found its way to the 'modern world'.

Fireblossom said...

Stopping to write poetry is "time theft." Start digging.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, yes! A powerful social commentary it is indeed, MZ!! A great reminder! Thank you! Have a great weekend!

georgeplaceblog said...

A good reminder of the true cost of our treasures.

Björn Rudberg said...

Alas..for some the reward is mostly mud. A good reminder for all.

Margaret said...

so effective - you have rendered Amethyst undesirable…

manicddaily said...

So sad. I've not been to Sri Lanka but India a few times. So difficult. Thanks. K.

Sioux said...

There but for the grace of...

We have such an easy life, compared to so many others.

Ella said...

Your purple prose haunts-.
Now, I see bruises when I look at this gem-
Reality cracked-a bit of ugly behind another fabled beauty.

bj said...

awww, bless his heart.

Glennis said...

A very start poem, sad that it is probably true.

grapeling said...

reminds me of the photography of Sebasti√£o Salgado.

brutal truth, MZ ~