Sunday, September 14, 2014

How To Bear The Blue

Squinting is impractical.
An eye-patch is doubly impractical
unless you are a pirate.
Not a pirate?
Then spread yourself wide as the drum major's cape,
and let trumpet trills
thrill you / fill you
with fat, unmuted September.
Leave August shades to the flute section
and the threat of October to your dreams.
Don't be that awkward stillness that stalls the wave.
Throw your head back and scream.
It's the least you can do
to bear your share of the blue.

For Grace's prompt at Real Toads

13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Brilliant interpretation of the theme!

Björn Rudberg said...

If we're screaming already in September, what can remain for October and November... I think I'll save my blue for then :-)

Sylvia K said...

Brilliant it is indeed, MZ, but, of course, I've come to expect nothing less from you!! Have a great new week!

Susan said...

Yes, Ma'am! Screaming trombone notes. What fuun. So much blues cheers me on.

Susan said...

Yes, Ma'am! Screaming trombone notes. What fuun. So much blues cheers me on.

Fireblossom said...

I absolutely adore that ending. And "not a pirate?" That made me grin.

R.K. Garon said...

EEEEEEEK YOWL and howl... my version of a scream :-) I smiled throughout my reading too.
ZQ

Grace said...

I love that unmuted September blue ~ Thanks for linking up MZ ~

Sumana Roy said...

love that pirate part :)

Margaret said...

You just never cease to amaze me. Your brain is wired in an amazing way.

Susie Clevenger said...

September blue...I am singing in that shade...as always I am amazed by your writing skills.

Marian said...

nice. wait, squinting is impractical? i guess i'll just... let it go, let it go. ;)

grapeling said...

lively, wise admonition and reminder ~