Thursday, September 18, 2014

Dahlias Dying

I dream of dahlias dying;
wake up half past late
and a quarter from crying.

Every joint is grinding.
Every bone is an ache.
I dream of dahlias dying.

I have a fear of flying.
I hesitate to medicate
till I'm a quarter from crying.

I have a fear of flying
and becoming what I hate -
a dahlia dying.

The work of untying
all the knots of me you've made -
all the talking and crying

I'm finding
to be a waste.
I dream of dahlias dying
and wake a quarter from crying.

10 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

So painful, Kelli. "All the knots of me you've made, all the talking and crying." I so know.

Björn Rudberg said...

I find this poem in it's pain and the use of rhyme so excellent.. and to feel like a dahlia dying .. a lot of autumn feel in that..

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

This is EXCEPTIONAL!

I am still writing at Noh Where (or I will be soon I hope). But I am also using Blogger for photography at: mydowntownblog here:

http://mydowntownblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/inside.html

Please come by and see me. Thanks, Liz

Audrey Howitt aka Divalounger said...

the repetition is so much like a cry--such a painful sense here

Fireblossom said...

I like the "quarter from crying". Such a vulnerable and sad feeling you've put to words here.

Gail said...

I had that dream but could not tell it so well.

Fantastic.

Kathryn Dyche Dechairo said...

Painfully poetic, wow.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Ahhh! Villanelle MZ style.. my day is complete.

Katarina said...

A lovely, lovely, lovely poem! It speaks directly to my heart.

grapeling said...

brilliant, MZ ~