Thursday, July 3, 2014

Für Therese

I'm sorry, my dearest, I'm sorry.
Sorry as I can be
that these fingers cramped by the bow and staff
pen notes clear to hear, not to see.
Sorry that the sweet slant and curl of your name
will be lost to history.
I'm sorry, my dearest, I'm sorry.
I don't even know an Elise!

Despite the title of his song “Für Elise,” Beethoven didn’t even know an Elise, at least according to most historians. Beethoven had hideous handwriting—to the point that some scholars speculate the song was actually written “for Therese,” one of several women who turned down a marriage proposal from the notoriously lovesick maestro.
- - - Mental Floss

This amazing and interesting fact brought to you by Izy at Real Toads.

13 comments:

Susan said...

ROFL! And I enjoy the sweet non- irony of a musician writing only for the ears.

Sioux said...

Fur Elise is one of my favorites. I got a little education with this poem. ;)

manicddaily said...

Oh dear! Well, thank heavens she did turn him down! A wife might have been more than a little miffed. Thanks, MZ. K .

Margaret said...

Love it. But I like it as my youngest daughter is named Elise!

Fireblossom said...

The original title was Fur Strip Tease, and it had this big brass section, and...

Vanessa V Kilmer said...

Have you seen the movie, Immortal Beloved? Loved that movie.

Susie Clevenger said...

This made me giggle...

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Smiled all through this, MZ. Clever!

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Mama Mia,

This part just broke my heart:
"that these fingers cramped by the bow and staff/pen notes clear to hear, not to see." All we know of his deafness, the double entendre of the "notes," just perfect. The best I've read on this prompt, truly. Thanks so much. Amy

Isadora Gruye said...

I will fail at words for this so may I just say....Hell Yeah! Viva la and thanks for posting!

Jim said...

Good write, Mom Z. Like Beethoven, I don't know half the people I write about in my blogs. It is fun to make a name.
..

Kerry O'Connor said...

I did not expect this! Loved the tone, and I believe there is a moral lesson in the artist forgetting the muse's name!

grapeling said...

that's funny ~