Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cage Wide Open

When I've unraveled every yarn
and stunned the voices silent;
when I can take my place
in the kitchen or as queen;
When I own all my deeds
and every word that I have spoken,

I'll be birdsong
with the cage
wide open.

When I can choose direction
or crush the compass in my fist.
When I can vandalize the garden
in honor of my sister Eves
and finally hold an apple
with its skin unbroken,

I'll be birdsong
with the cage
wide open.

A bit of a nod to Miss Maya for Shay's word list prompt at Real Toads

13 comments:

Fireblossom said...

I love this, Kelli.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Yeah! I love that chorus - this is like the thinking woman's response to Kipling's 'If'.

Kim Nelson said...

I read this over and over, feeling the meaning and power. Another strong write asserting a strong woman.

Susan said...

I love this affirmation!

Gail said...

I love this song of freedom, power, and confidence.

Carrie Van Horn said...

A song of liberation and strength...I love the repetition in this...a truly amazing poem!!

Vandana Sharma said...

beautifully done!

Debi Swim said...

Beautiful

Grandmother (Mary) said...

I love the allusions to Maya- phenomenal woman here, too.

Hannah said...

I'm so glad you chose to repeat the birdsong part!! Powerful write MZ and I love the concept of actually BEING the birdsong. :)

hedgewitch said...

Everything about this is in harmony, balanced, and whole, even the sense of longing and imperfection--not sure how you did that, but it certainly worked.

razzamadazzle said...

This is wonderful! I love the message of caring and freedom and solidarity.

Jennifer Knoblock said...

The refrain is gorgeous, and those first two lines...!!!