Tuesday, April 22, 2014

We Buy Junk


Image by Lolamouse or Babymouse, 2014


When I was empty and half-full
grown and couldn't stand myself
another minute, I used to walk
to this tacky little shop at the corner
of Broadway and Main Street.
Hanging in the window, just to the left
of the dusty, silver-belled door, was a sign
that still comes frequently to my mind
even after thirty long years:

WE BUY JUNK
AND SELL ANTIQUES!

Words to live by, don't you think?

For Lolamouse's prompt at Real Toads

If you're looking for Friday Flash 55, scroll down!

13 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I love it!! And I think there are a lot of those stores that buy junk and sell antiques, but they're not as honest about it as this one!! Hope your week is off to a great start, MZ!!

Grandmother (Mary) said...

I've been in some stores like that!

Kerry O'Connor said...

Yes, indeed. It's all a matter of semantics.

ccchampagne said...

Definitely words to live by and a very nostalgic and warming piece!

Karen S. said...

Absolutely, and I adore this photo! You nailed it!

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, I remember stores like that. And I've seen such a sign before, but probably not posted by one of those storekeepers.
Well done, as always, MZ.
K

Lolamouse said...

It's all in the perception (and the marketing!) Great story, MZ! Thanks for playing!

Hannah said...

I love this:

"When I was empty and half-full
grown and couldn't stand myself
another minute,"

I just love the way this one puts a twist on what one thought they'd be reading...cool twists, MZ!!

humbird said...

Love the first lines!

Other Mary said...

Hahaha - words to live by for sure!

manicddaily said...

vvery clever. ive been working on a 55 but just havent gotten it, k.

grapeling said...

ha! reminds me in a way of that Carlin routine (you know, Move your shit so I can put my stuff down). :) ~

Susan said...

YES!