Thursday, April 3, 2014

On Becoming A Nightingale

                The
           lonely flesh  I
  hide in   -  cast it aside
           and my spirit flies.  Tiny
              thoughts and blind fears so far away
                 the world is mine as I resurrect the wonders of 
                   ancient days that were never lost.
                      Drifting through the
                       thunder, storms I
                          create, and I'm
                             not afraid.
                                   I
                                a
                              m
                        not afraid .             

"A poet is a nightingale who sits in darkness and sings to cheer its own solitude with sweet sounds; his auditors are as men entranced by the melody of an unseen musician, who feel that they are moved and softened, yet know not whence or why."
- - - Percy  Shelley 

For Sam's prompt at Real Toads.  Forgive me, Sam; I cheated a little.  I reworked a very old piece. This is actually a snippet of some song lyrics written 20 years ago.  I haven't written a better description of how poetry makes me feel since.  

15 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is gorgeous, MZ. I love the shape, the nod to Shelley and the snippet of your own journey to song and poetry.

This is why poetry continues to excite me.

Sylvia K said...

I totally agree with Kerry, MZ!! This is awesome!!

razzamadazzle said...

This is wonderful! Your description is perfect. I'm so glad you cheated and shared this.

Sumana Roy said...

love the spirit,resurrecting ancient marvels,carving its own way and braving thunder and storms...the true essence of a poet....and a fantastic layout...

Margaret said...

"storms I create" and "ancient days that were never lost" - lots packed into this tiny little bird!

grapeling said...

f'n brill, as my brit friends might say ~

Sam Edge said...

I can't top Kerry's comments - stellar form, content and meaning.

Ella said...

I too love Shelley. Bravo MZ! You make me want to soar into the cloak of darkness. YOU do it so well!

Susie Clevenger said...

Amazing from shape to verse...

Fireblossom said...

When we are doing what we love to do, what we were born to do, nothing else matters and we fly. You've captured that.

manicddaily said...

All works so well here. K.

Lorraine Renaud said...

oh Mama Zen what to say one day I won't fear, one day I'll fly but I will always, always fly here first or second lol I love this rare but it almost made tear up

Kim Nelson said...

Oh, how I love this! Your form is spot-on; but more significantly, your message, diction, flow are moving, evocative and so effective. I'm in awe.

Brian Miller said...

to have that place where we are not afraid...and we feel we can fly, is a beautiful thing.

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Love this too - and the form perfect.
Anna :o]