Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Love Culture

This is no place for falling out of love.
Love quotes hang like bunting in the rafters.
"We loved with a love that was more than love"
side by side with "happy ever after."
Pages of love poems paper the walls.
"I Loved You First," "The White Rose," "Flirtation."
Poets scream sonnets in every hall.
The moon murmurs slick, sweet meditations.
Throats are foot thick with love songs and lyrics.
"At Last," "Crazy," "I Will Always Love You."
Louder, louder to drown out the cynics -
"Just Like a Woman." With or Without You."
Here, you are either Venus or vulture,
lip locked deep in a phony love culture.

Today, we're working with Google search auto-fill.  When I typed in "lov," Google spit out: love, love quotes, love poems, love songs, love culture.  I used those words and phrases in my poem for Izy's prompt at Real Toads.  Sorry, Izy, I don't know how to do a screenshot!

18 comments:

ccchampagne said...

Having been single as long as I have, I can SO relate to this and I think it was beautifully written! Thank you for sharing this!

Lorraine Renaud said...

Love is a bitch...or can be unless you don't listen to music much love songs are rare it's always about the broken-hearted, at least then they speak the truth mind you this is my very own personal story

Sylvia K said...

Ah, love!! A bitch indeed! Glad I'm an old broad these days!!

Susan said...

Love! (See, even here!)

Lolamouse said...

I laughed when I read, "We loved with a love that was more than love!" I bet that's actually a song lyric somewhere and someone finds it really deep!

Fireblossom said...

LM--it's a famous line by Poe.

Sumana Roy said...

interesting...

Kerry O'Connor said...

Oh, yes! I was just waiting for the last line as I read this through.. You hit the nail on the head with your usual precision.

Laurie Kolp said...

This is great... I love creating poems for Goggle searches.

grapeling said...

tarnations, MZ, that last couplet is a killer ~

Poet Laundry said...

Cool the way you did this. I especially like your opening and your close.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

I want to be liplocked with this poem. Oy, is dis good. Much happiness, Mosk

Isadora Gruye said...

lollzers...I actually had to google How do I take a screenshot on my Mac for this prompt, so I totes understand the lack of one here. I do admire your poem though and found it very clever. IN particular "Venus or vulture"....very sharp, but then again, you always bring your "A" game. Thanks for participating in the out of standard MZ!!!

razzamadazzle said...

This is great! I love what you came up with. I didn't know how to do a screen shot either. I just used my phone to take a picture of the computer. LOL

manicddaily said...

I want to say love this but it is too cliched at this point. Wonderful sonnet. My favorite part is the throats a foot thick in love songs. A foot thick in cleverness. And not thick! Ha. Thanks. Terrific. k.

Hannah said...

You brought this list to life MZ...Well done!!

Ella said...

This should be a song!
You are so clever, Mama Zen~

Susie Clevenger said...

Love...we have watered it down until it has no meaning. Spot on piece!! Love it!