Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Donald Sterling Talks To His Animals: A Found Poem

I support you, don't I?
I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid.
I give you food and clothes . . .
A southern plantation type structure.
cars and houses  . . .
They will take whatever conditions I give them.
Who gives it to you?  Who makes the game?
Look at those beautiful black bodies.
Do I make the game or do you make the game?

Donald Sterling is the owner of the L.A. Clippers.  He was recently caught on audiotape making extremely offensive racist remarks.  The non-italicized lines of my poem are quotes from the audiotape (I've altered the pronouns from "them / they" to "you.").  With the exception of the "southern plantation" line (that was former General Manager Elgin Baylor describing Sterling's vision for the Clippers organization), all of the italicized lines are older Sterling quotes.  Hey, NBA; What does it take for you to get rid of this guy?

As to who makes the game . . . well, I can't resist . . .

Clutch

Eighteen seconds and down.
Roll the shoulder
loose and liquid.
Muscle memory
at the arc.
Sure hands . . .
and one!




And, all of the above blathering is for Helen's prompt at Real Toads

11 comments:

grapeling said...

love the protest poetry, MZ.

F. Sterling. Of course, the other Donald, with the hairpiece, has rushed to his defense. LA beat writers have been saying this for *years*, but Stern brushed it all under the rug. Silver has his work cut out. Wonder what he'll say today.

Damn, that guy is pretty good :). ~

razzamadazzle said...

It never fails to amaze me how stupid some people are.

Fireblossom said...

He's one ugly bugger, inside and out!

That is some kind of shot, in the video.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh my goodness, that is just unbelievable - it's like Toronto's Rob Ford - why do they still give these guys air time?

manicddaily said...

Pretty awful. I think his girlfriend was also mixed race. Crazy. Thanks. k.

Other Mary said...

Oh well done! Very timely.

Hannah said...

Apalling and amazing...nicely done, MZ!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I am SO beyond accepting belittlement of individuals based on race or class or culture! Even though I am unfamiliar with the players in your poem, I applaud you for speaking out against such a vile display of disparagement.

Helen said...

I am the consummate BB fan! There is no way his comments / attitude are acceptable .. under any circumstance! You chose the perfect animal to showcase in a poem .. yea!

hedgewitch said...

Amen--he and Cliven Bundy need to get together in the compound and toast to the good old days, when 'Negroes' were properly grateful for the joys of pickin cotton 14 hours a day,the glories of dormitory living in a tar paper shack and a bowl of beans and hog guts. I say NOTHING about WTF an eighty year old man is doing dating a twenty something, or what that might indicate about his personality, either.

Susie Clevenger said...

He is such a jerk...I can't believe he can speak such rubbish...but I think your piece lays his reasoning out quite well.