Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Dream Box

The dream is a box begging to be opened,
but the penknifed name is too faint to read.
Still, with tender and terror,
I know it's mine.

It's my ark of commandments and covenants,
stained with the sweat of my shoulders,
but never sinned against or soiled
by steadying hands.

It's my crated collection of boundaries
and meanings marred by fetish;
the penumbra
of all my past primitive nights.

It is the stillborn wheel of my ribs.
It is the chocolate melt of the marrow
at the fine and fragile threshold
between I

and I AM.

For Hedge's incredible word list at Real Toads

12 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Such a thought-provoking angle on the theme, and the words have slipped in as if they were yours all along.

hedgewitch said...

Really some great word-choices and amalgams here, MZ--I love 'penknifed,' and the ark of covenants--it doesn't float, I think. Your language as always, cuts to the bone, and the dream box has a rather ominous ticking to it. Thanks for doing such a great job with the list.

Marian said...

"stillborn wheel of my ribs," wow.

Kathryn said...

You women rock . . . amazing.

Fireblossom said...

This is so MZ.

Ella said...

I agree, you were never know there was a list! So many key elements knitted with depth! Bravo

Susie Clevenger said...

Amazing piece...Love the endng

Susie Clevenger said...

Amazing piece...Love the endng

jo-hanna said...

It is the clever selection of the words the prompt gave us that makes this so natural, if supernatural in spirit. The name, with a trickle of blood from the penknife, sets the tone.

Mark Kerstetter said...

The world of dream as a gift box or box of chocolates -- love the originality of that idea. It infuses an ordinary thing with great mystery and danger.

blueoran said...

In the best poems of this challenge the words -- and even the challenge -- is wholly lost in the power of the singular poem. Like this one. When I was a kid I loved Menotti's "Amahl and the Night Visitor," expecially the song "This Is My Box" by Caspar, the third Wise Man / Stooge. And this is your box. Thanks for revealing it this once.

Lorraine Renaud said...

Pass on the shivers, 'cause that one has me shaken