Saturday, January 18, 2014

Cobra Lily


She cobra with cold 
water roots and nectar sweet
petals slip/slick and parted -
what will you do with my bones?
What will you do with my bones?

The cobra lily is a carnivorous plant that lures insects with a sweet smelling nectar inside its openings.  Once inside, the insect is surrounded by false exits.  As the insect checks these false exits looking for an escape, it ventures farther and farther down the slippery tube structure and eventually falls into the pool of digestive acids at the base of the leaf.  

A tanka for Kerry's challenge at Real Toads

16 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Wow!Wow! You had my attention at the title and what a beautiful death-trap was laid with each line!

Susan said...

Dissolve the skeleton, I'm afraid ... horror in a few natural words.

Marian said...

yikes, i was unfamiliar! eek!

grapeling said...

excelsior! ~

Margaret said...

She will have no pity!

Lorraine Renaud said...

My gosh imagine that creation, never seen anything like it, bravo!!!!

Fireblossom said...

What an exotic and inspired choice in the cobra lily. In my opinion, this is one of your best poems, though I'm not buying that it's about botany.

Oman said...

This is a lovely place and very different from my own so hopping to your blog transport me to a different place. Great job.

Oman Is An Island

Björn said...

I deadly lady (for a fly) ... love it

Kenia Cris said...

Scary thing, poor flies.

Great poem. I like the repetition in the end. Musical. <3

hedgewitch said...

Nature is not at all what looking casually at pretty flowers and buzzing bees might lead you to believe.

Robyn Greenhouse said...

nature is amazing - thanks for adding the information about the plant!

steph said...

Cool... what will you do with my bones.. I like the repetition. Fascinating plant... I think..

Susie Clevenger said...

Death is sticky sweet beauty...love it!

Other Mary said...

Dangerously good write!

Helen said...

Making me happy to be human, pity the unsuspecting insects ..

Incredible image ++ tanka!