Saturday, August 10, 2013

All Is Reflection

Just the other side of the heat shimmer
there's a Mexican pounding nails
on my neighbor's roof.
We exchange universal language waves and nods,
friendly,
but I wonder

if he can really see me well enough
(under the shade of my porch)
to tell that I'm one of the good ones.
Can he sense my identification with the struggle;
perhaps even glimpse my non-latte holding hand
raised in solidarity?

I'm sure that he can,

and as he turns back
to his sweat and shingles,
I bask
in his imagined regard and congratulate myself
on having not become too privileged 
to think of others.

This was inspired by Hannah's Salar de Uyuni prompt at Real Toads.  Salar de Uyuni is a salt flat in Bolivia.  When it's covered with water, it's one of the world's largest mirror.  

15 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

"I bask in his imagined regard and congratulate myself on having not having not become too privileged" —

I have known people who were exactly like that. I saw them when my family had a casita in Mexico. They were so damned smug...

Thanks for this. You've made my day.

K

Susan said...

I enjoy this narrator making up stories over the great distance between her and the roofer. I should more often reflect on the reflector.

Vanessa V Kilmer said...

It's good to feel that universal connection. After all, everyone comes from the same mother.

Grace said...

I like that moment's capture of universal language & reflection MZ ~

Margaret said...

An amazing moment of poetry!

grapeling said...

Stellar, MZ. "non-latte holding hand" - ha!

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is definitely a reflection of a different kind - and the skill of the poet is in the speaker unwittingly revealing his/her own plausibility from the words spoken.

LaTonya Baldwin said...

Candid and revealing how we imagine ourselves and the projections we make. I like a little social commentary with my poetry and coffee. Thanks for serving it up.

Brian Miller said...

we are all connected...and it is good to acknowledge...far too many have become privledged enough to seperate themselves from the rest...

Fireblossom said...

Babs would be feeling distinctly saintly by now!

Helen said...

Raising our hands in solidarity is what it's all about, Mama.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love this moment of communication on so many levels - the poetic personas seem to signify worlds far beyond the nailing of a roof.

Lorraine said...

Wonderful write and you don't come across as a high and mighty but as an excellent writer that knows pain recognizes and takes it as her own..

Loredana Donovan said...

Poignant! I love the message of solidarity :)

Hannah said...

Yes! Given the place...I can envision the mirror like heat waves on the roof the smell of the shingles and the sweat the fact that you put down your coffee or that the character has freed hands of all things to take that moment and be purely identifying with that hard working human being...so good. Your poetry holds poignant notes of humanity...golden keys. Thank you so much for writing, Mama Zen!