Friday, December 9, 2011

Gone


You tell lies like a knife between the ribs.
Scandalize the town, 
I hear it from my friends.
You'd come around,
I'd turn the other cheek
and turn the covers down.
Like a fever in my brain,
I thought I'd make you change cause

you had a line
that crept right up on me.
Took my heart's desire
and laid it at my feet.
You seemed so fine
till I got in your skin
you were rotten inside.
You bled me dry.
Still I kept trying, and

in the name of love,
I forgave you.
With both eyes shut,
I damn near sainted you.
But, you were too cold,
and even a fool finds the end of the road.
You were a killing vice.
You supplied me.
I didn't want to kick the need then

I finally got a clue
that you're in love with you.
I can't believe it took me this long.
Now, I know what you're about,
and I've lost count
of all your second chances
so, baby, I'm gone.

A "departure" poem for Fireblossom Friday at Real Toads

21 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Wow. More than once I've been in a relationship where I was all about them, and THEY were all about them, too. But sooner or later I woke up. This sounds just like that.

Thanks for being part of my first Fireblossom Friday! It would not have been the same if you hadn't.

Sylvia K said...

Terrific and heartbreaking at the same time, MZ.

Sylvia

Marian said...

whoosh, i was glad to get to the very last line of this poem.

hedgewitch said...

I'm hummin along to Chain chain chain/chain of fools--one of the best songs on this oh so familiar to me topic. This is hard hitting and brutally true to life, yet never missing a beat, never less than a clear and effective phrase for each turn of the knife. One of these mornin's/ that chain is gonna break..

Grace said...

Nice tight lines, how foolish we love,until we wake up to the sad reality ~

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh I've been there a time or three.......you write with great awareness......I so love the last line!

Caty said...

those relationships suck! this didn't though; it was fantastic :)

Susie Clevenger said...

Ah the love of self...I have know several like that...good thing "you" are gone.. :)

Brian Miller said...

boom...wow, love the voice in this...strong...and yeah you desere far better than that...smiles.

Kerry O'Connor said...

Baby, I'm done.

What a cathartic moment you have captured in the process of letting go.

Dave King said...

Coo! Clinical efficiency. I like this.

Grandmother said...

Gone is the best place to be with this kind of character! Great, true, fearless description.

Mary said...

A strong, gut-level write; the kind of poem that gets right into the meat of a situation, no holds barred. Sometimes 'gone' is the best destination! Visiting from RT.

Helen said...

For me, this was a trip back in time.

Lolamouse said...

Sounds like my first boyfriend! Ugh. He was a real snake in the grass! Goodbye to old rubbish!

Fred said...

Powerful piece and an exceptionally illustrative write. Thanks

Kay L. Davies said...

Ooh, extremely well said. I remember men like that. After the umpteenth second chance...

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

manicddaily said...

Oooh. That's telling him (or her.) K.

Steve Isaak said...

Solid writing, enjoyable.

Louise Gallagher said...

Wow -- this is one powerful write - you cut deep to the core and leave me breathless.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Set this to music and you'd have a hit song.