Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Beautiful World

When the sun came up this morning,
it was shining just for me.
I stood staring out the window
at the golden people on my golden street.

It's so pretty.
It's so fine.
It's so lovely.
I try not to mind.

Outside my door
everybody's waiting
just to tell me to have a nice day.
I keep smiling until it's painful
wishing I could wish them away.


It's so pretty.
It's so fine.
It's so lovely.
I try not to mind.

Everybody loves me.
I'm just a golden girl.
Everybody loves me.
I'm the only darkness in my beautiful world.
In my world,
every shadow's mine.

Every day is milk and honey,
and every step is a parade.
At night before sleep comes like a phantom,
I lie awake and count the friend's I've made.


It's so pretty.
It's so fine.
It's so lovely.
I try not to mind.

Everybody loves me.
I'm just a golden girl.
Everybody loves me.
I'm the only darkness in my beautiful world.
In my world,
every shadow's mine.

14 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Wonderful! Wonder how many can relate? Have a great evening, MZ!

Sylvia

Fireblossom said...

This is profoundly sad.

ayala said...

wow...I'm the only darkness in my beautiful world....this line says it all...sad.

Caty said...

i bet there are many that relate...probably more than they let on.

hedgewitch said...

This is a song-poem to me... a sad sad song, and I feel every bar.

Brian Miller said...

i am the only darkness in my beautiful world...

Christine said...

I feel it too hedgewitch, reminds me of someone so long ago.

Claudia said...

for me there is a lot of loneliness in these lines..every shadow's mine... well played on the heart strings here..

Mark said...

I needed this poem today, thanks.
Also thanks for all the comments you leave on my blog, they are appreciated.

Sheila Moore said...

This scares me.

happygirl said...

I hear Nora Jones singing this. sweetly sad.

Heaven said...

Your refrain is very effective. Like these lines:

I'm the only darkness in my beautiful world.
In my world,
every shadow's mine.

Fred said...

Really interesting write, has a positive song quality to a pretty sad theme. Great job weaving these together, I feel like this myself sometimes. Thanks

Buttons said...

Oh Zen I really understand this one. Great poem. I have read your poems and I think you have a deep deep understanding of all things different. You know you should be putting this in a book right? I own lots of poetry books by the greats and your poems would stand well against any of them. :)