Monday, August 22, 2011

Let It Go

Locked away in your darkened heart
you never see the light.
Heard too many hurting words
you don’t want to go outside.
The years go sliding by you
but you don’t feel the change.
Everyday is just the same
with you at center stage.

Staring eyes and pointing fingers
are all you see.
Baby, you’re not living,
you’re just living with a memory.

Let it go.
Leave it behind you.
There’s been so much wasted time.
Let it go.
Don’t let it blind you.
Your accuser is in your mind.
Let it go.
No more reminders.
It doesn't matter what they did to you.
The face you see in the mirror
it’s not you.
So why don’t you let it go? 

The picture that they drew of you
you carry in your head.
And you believed, lived and breathed,
every word they said.
Much too proud to let them see you fall apart.
It's time to take that pride and reject
the part they gave to you. 

Let it go.
Leave it behind you.
There’s been so much wasted time.
Let it go.
Don’t let it blind you.
Your accuser is in your mind.
Let it go.
No more reminders.
Doesn’t matter what they did to you.
The face you see in the mirror
It’s not you.
So why don’t you let it go? 

11 comments:

Fireblossom said...

You talkin' to me??

Cos you could be.

Sylvia K said...

Hmmm you could be talking to a lot of us, I suspect! Terrific as always!

Sylvia

Christine said...

Went through a year of therapy about self talk, problem is that little voice tends to find her way back to me.

Susie Clevenger said...

I seem to always be in a process of letting go...this one really spoke to me!

Heaven said...

I believe it.. I live it... thanks for the meaningful poem ~

Happy day ~

ab said...

I second Fireblossom's comment.

Richard Cody said...

Reminds me of an old Love and Rockets tune: "If you look into the mirror you'll see that nobody ever ripped you off, it's all in your mind." Or something like that.

And just for the record, I've fallen in love with your poetry.

unsungpoet said...

This is a beautifully awesome poem...very deep and well written...my favorite of yours so far.

moondustwriter said...

What a great poem and lesson was just talking with my son about a friend in this boat - he is not alone
It is so easy to get cast adrift rather than to let it go...

haikulovesongs said...

so hard to learn to let go, but once we do....

another fabulous poem!
dani ♥

Poetic Shutterbug said...

No truer words and I think we all at some time or another go through this. Great poem.